Making Images

Full Version: Newcastle Hillclimb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Every year in King Edward Park on Newcastle's foreshore, the MG Car Club hosts a hillclimb event. This year was the 57th, and the 4th I've managed to actually get to. Here's a couple of photos.

[Image: 15479645656_a74214fa72.jpg]

[Image: 15316189087_e7cf16ed5e.jpg]

[Image: 15479534436_fed250ff95.jpg]

The full set is here.
Hey mate, one thing to think about is getting your shutter speed down a bit. I shot most of my motorsport (back in the day, ie last year Icon_smile at 1/125th or slower to really get that background blur/wheel movement up.

Or 1/60th with the 400 Icon_smile

[Image: 9320302961_d78d419236_b.jpg]
Old Pony in action
by juice imaging, on Flickr
Yep,. I was aware of that issue, but I'm not that great at panning. I was already struggling to keep the cars themselves in focus.
Fair enough then Icon_smile
Looking good Adam.

Mic, how much of the time did you use a monopod when you were shooting motor sports on a regular basis?
(11-Oct-2014 11:49)Ralphbro wrote: [ -> ]Mic, how much of the time did you use a monopod when you were shooting motor sports on a regular basis?

People do that?
interesting variety of cars, most i don't even recognize Icon_cool
(11-Oct-2014 11:49)Ralphbro wrote: [ -> ]Mic, how much of the time did you use a monopod when you were shooting motor sports on a regular basis?
It lived on the 400, totally. Even the 500 was pretty difficult handheld.

Not really with the 70-200.
(11-Oct-2014 13:34)FJ Love wrote: [ -> ]interesting variety of cars, most i don't even recognize

That's why I added the descriptions Icon_smile
It is interesting - it's a fairly major event so they get all kinds of people from all over, driving all sorts of cars.

(11-Oct-2014 19:57)juice wrote: [ -> ]It lived on the 400, totally. Even the 500 was pretty difficult handheld.

Not really with the 70-200.

I've had a monopod for years and used it only once or twice. It kinda seemed like all the lack of flexibility of a tripod, without the stability. Icon_rolleyes
(11-Oct-2014 23:34)AdamC wrote: [ -> ]I've had a monopod for years and used it only once or twice. It kinda seemed like all the lack of flexibility of a tripod, without the stability. Icon_rolleyes
Nah, it's the best of all worlds - easy to get around with, but MASSIVE stability improvements.
(11-Oct-2014 23:34)AdamC wrote: [ -> ]I've had a monopod for years and used it only once or twice. It kinda seemed like all the lack of flexibility of a tripod, without the stability. Icon_rolleyes

a monopod is only as good as the ballhead mounted on top of it, without a ballhead a monopod is useless Icon_wink
(12-Oct-2014 02:28)FJ Love wrote: [ -> ]a monopod is only as good as the ballhead mounted on top of it, without a ballhead a monopod is useless Icon_wink
Not even close to true Icon_smile
(12-Oct-2014 02:51)juice wrote: [ -> ]Not even close to true Icon_smile

to each his own, for sports i found a stiff stick useless to me Icon_wink
(11-Oct-2014 23:56)juice wrote: [ -> ]
Nah, it's the best of all worlds - easy to get around with, but MASSIVE stability improvements.

Hm, maybe I should go find it and give it another go.
(12-Oct-2014 02:28)FJ Love wrote: [ -> ]

a monopod is only as good as the ballhead mounted on top of it, without a ballhead a monopod is useless Icon_wink

Something tells me I'm being trolled ;-)
(12-Oct-2014 06:11)AdamC wrote: [ -> ]Something tells me I'm being trolled ;-)
He's from Canadia, that one
(12-Oct-2014 06:12)juice wrote: [ -> ]He's from Canadia, that one

May explain it.
(12-Oct-2014 03:14)FJ Love wrote: [ -> ]i found a stiff stick useless to me

Oh my, you poor boyIcon_lol
Icon_lolIcon_lolIcon_lol
(12-Oct-2014 09:00)Ralphbro wrote: [ -> ]Oh my, you poor boyIcon_lol

bastard Icon_lol
This is just speculation, but maybe we're having a positive effect on Ralph?
FU CaseIcon_lol
(12-Oct-2014 06:11)AdamC wrote: [ -> ]Something tells me I'm being trolled ;-)

Here's mine, i found it way more practical to use with the ball head, the ball head is only snug so you can readily change angles as objects change planes Icon_wink

[Image: wklsetG.jpg]
(12-Oct-2014 22:54)Case wrote: [ -> ]This is just speculation, but maybe we're having a positive effect on Ralph?
#olddogsnewtricks #seemsunlikely
Reference URL's