Making Images
Howz this color coming through - Printable Version

+- Making Images (http://forum.makingimages.com.au)
+-- Forum: Show Your Work (/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Forum: Post-processing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Howz this color coming through (/showthread.php?tid=711)

Pages: 1 2

Howz this color coming through - Ralphbro - 03-Sep-2013 00:41

So I'm trying to get the new laptop and monitor dialed in. The color in this image is all over the place depending on what it's displayed in. CS6 and LR5 look fine, but Firefox and Eudora show it as overly red. My wife's laptop it looks okay.

[Image: ralph09022013.jpg]

[Image: compare.jpg]

RE: Howz this color coming through - juice - 03-Sep-2013 01:13

Set FF to run the correct colour profile and you'll be good.

RE: Howz this color coming through - Tetrode - 03-Sep-2013 01:31

(03-Sep-2013 00:41)Ralphbro wrote:  So I'm trying to get the new laptop and monitor dialed in. The color in this image is all over the place depending on what it's displayed in. CS6 and LR5 look fine, but Firefox and Eudora show it as overly red. My wife's laptop it looks okay.

[Image: Ralph_Lenin_Mannequin.jpg]

Looks fine in Chrome, Ralph.

RE: Howz this color coming through - juice - 03-Sep-2013 02:08

(03-Sep-2013 01:31)Tetrode wrote:  Looks fine in Chrome, Ralph.
Icon_cheesygrin

RE: Howz this color coming through - Ralphbro - 03-Sep-2013 02:22

Thanks guys. One things for sure, Dave has me figured outIcon_eek

Oh, and I just embedded the profile and re uploaded.

RE: Howz this color coming through - Sheldon N - 03-Sep-2013 03:00

Looks fine for me in FF, Ralph. Looks like you need to get your color management settings figured out.

RE: Howz this color coming through - Rudi - 03-Sep-2013 05:46

Hiya Ralph,

Each one looks different on my monitor. Here is a screen grab:

[Image: p1641392615.png]

I was going to guess that the image was not converted to sRGB (some browsers might misrepresent an image in a different colour space), but after you wrote that the correct colour profile was applied I now suspect colour profile mismanagement. Two colour profiles on top of each other, so to speak. Things can get weird when different apps handle colour profiles separately. This has happened to me a couple of times, back in my Windows days (i.e. many years ago). I can't remember exactly what program it was, but the weird colours were the result a program applying its own colour correction *after* a colour profile was already applied. A colour correction on top of a colour correction resulted in an overly saturated file, just like what you seem to be getting.

I no longer remember where to look for these settings on a PC, but maybe one of the local Windows experts can point you in the right direction.

RE: Howz this color coming through - Ralphbro - 03-Sep-2013 11:38

Issues like this are why I loath to update sysrems. Oh well, it's gotta be done periodically, but damn, what a time consuming effort.

Thanks for every ones input.

RE: Howz this color coming through - SilverHCIC - 04-Sep-2013 21:38

I'm with Rudi on this. Images # 2 & # 3 look rather red to me.

RE: Howz this color coming through - DJ - 04-Sep-2013 22:05

Case, your thoughts on #2 and #3 Icon_lol

RE: Howz this color coming through - juice - 04-Sep-2013 22:19

(04-Sep-2013 22:05)DJ wrote:  Case, your thoughts on #2 and #3 Icon_lol
Icon_cheesygrin

RE: Howz this color coming through - Ralphbro - 04-Sep-2013 23:21

Icon_mrgreen

RE: Howz this color coming through - Ralphbro - 15-Oct-2013 03:08

Okay gang, I'm trying to get my work flow dialed in with the new monitor, along with calibrating my meter with my 5DIII and a couple of lenses.

This is SOOC with only a Custom profile and WB adjustment.

A couple of questions. First off, how does the exposure look? The second question is what do you use to determine your editing brightness in portraits. Is it simply a visual read, and/or sampling highlights. Also, does it depend on your final output media?

[Image: skin.jpg]

RE: Howz this color coming through - Rudi - 15-Oct-2013 03:39

I gotta tell you, Ralph - I dunno what to tell you! To repeat myself and tell you that you are over-thinking this is clearly not going to help, so I'm at a loss. Icon_cheesygrin

The exposure looks fine. The mannequin shoulders behind you look creepy. As someone who does this for a living, I gotta tell you that I have never thought this much about exposure and post-processing (as you seem to do). Expression and capturing the right moment are very much more important to an image than any other slight technical imperfection that can be corrected in post.

Which leads me to - your expression sucks. Bring back the dummy! Icon_mrgreen

RE: Howz this color coming through - Sheldon N - 15-Oct-2013 03:41

Egads Ralph! Ann Margaret is lurking behind you, very creepy. Icon_eek

Exposure looks fine. I set exposure to have Caucasian skin be bright but not start to lose tonality to clipping. Just by eyeball, no science involved.

I have another project for you.... pick an idea that you are passionate about. Something that interests you. Make a picture about that topic that makes you feel something or communicates something. Bring that picture back and share it with us. Good or bad, we'll be glad to see it.

Technique only matters when the lack of it gets in the way of you making the picture that you want to make.

RE: Howz this color coming through - Tetrode - 15-Oct-2013 03:42

One of the most technically perfect DUI mugshots I've ever seen!

RE: Howz this color coming through - Sheldon N - 15-Oct-2013 03:42

Wow... Rudi and I were thinking the same thing at the same time.... I need a drink. Icon_eek

Icon_lolIcon_lolIcon_lol

RE: Howz this color coming through - juice - 15-Oct-2013 03:55

(15-Oct-2013 03:39)Rudi wrote:  Which leads me to - your expression sucks. Bring back the dummy! Icon_mrgreen
He did, and we all want it to stop.

(15-Oct-2013 03:41)Sheldon N wrote:  I have another project for you.... pick an idea that you are passionate about. Something that interests you. Make a picture about that topic that makes you feel something or communicates something. Bring that picture back and share it with us. Good or bad, we'll be glad to see it.
This! And don't give us any crap about being passionate about selfies.

RE: Howz this color coming through - DJ - 15-Oct-2013 04:16

Hi Ralph....RUN!!!!

RE: Howz this color coming through - Rudi - 15-Oct-2013 05:52

(15-Oct-2013 03:42)Tetrode wrote:  One of the most technically perfect DUI mugshots I've ever seen!
Icon_mrgreen

RE: Howz this color coming through - Ralphbro - 15-Oct-2013 12:02

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I figured I'd post this and accept the bickbats, you know, no pain, no gainIcon_lol

Anyway, on Sunday I took a couple of hours an shot in full sun from an over look of Puget Sound and a marina. The idea being to put some of Scott's techniques into use with regard to setting exposure. I'm getting closer, but I'm still lacking consistency. One of my passions is to get that consistency so I can shoot a subject in full sun and not be constantly fucking around and chimping to dial in exposure.

To all you photography brainiacs putting the pieces together is second nature. I'm a slow MFing learnerIcon_biggrin You know, shit like; if you shoot with a 50mm lens with a hazy full sun background, you're image is gonna be low contrast. Being able to evaluate the exposure balance between the background and subject using the LCD was needing some working on, so this lead me to figuring out which picture style (neutral -2 contrast) and screen brightness would give me the best perspective and highlight alert. These two appear to have a good balance of ambient/flash, but they were overexposed by any where from 3/4 to 1.5 stops.

3 stop ND. Shot at f2.8, 50mmL, fireball on a Ranger RX pack channel B at 6.5 power.

Anyway, this obviously is a slow learning process for me, but getting the technical dialed in is satisfying unto itself.
Oh, and the fireball is sweet.

Oh, I was pissed at myself for lack of balls. Just to camera left is mansion, Asian architecture. Towards the end of my shoot, an SUV pulls into the driveway and this beautiful late 20's Asian girl gets out and says what a nice day to take pictures. I had no fucking gonads to ask her to step in so I could get some shots of her. FUCK! What a douche bag I am.

[Image: test1.jpg]
[Image: test2.jpg]

RE: Howz this color coming through - Rudi - 15-Oct-2013 12:42

(15-Oct-2013 12:02)Ralphbro wrote:  You know, shit like; if you shoot with a 50mm lens with a hazy full sun background, you're image is gonna be low contrast. Being able to evaluate the exposure balance between the background and subject using the LCD was needing some working on, so this lead me to figuring out which picture style (neutral -2 contrast) and screen brightness would give me the best perspective and highlight alert. These two appear to have a good balance of ambient/flash, but they were overexposed by any where from 3/4 to 1.5 stops.

See, that's the sort of shit that you have to stop worrying about, and just go out and shoot! The details will fall into place... eventually... and when they don't, you post-process.

You see a lot of this on Leica forums - everybody wringing their hands about ultimate sharpness and micro-contrast, and the stuff they shoot is absolute crap! In the meantime, kids with Rebels and Nikon D3200 cameras are shooting amazing images with their kit lenses. Two approaches to photography, and neither is wrong. But only one of them produces great images! The other produces really average images that are really sharp and have great micro-contrast. Icon_cheesygrin

RE: Howz this color coming through - FJ Love - 15-Oct-2013 13:21

(15-Oct-2013 12:02)Ralphbro wrote:  this beautiful late 20's Asian girl gets out and says what a nice day to take pictures. I had no fucking gonads to ask her to step in so I could get some shots of her

[Image: sKNAssE.jpg]

RE: Howz this color coming through - DJ - 15-Oct-2013 13:23

(15-Oct-2013 12:02)Ralphbro wrote:  beautiful late 20's Asian girl gets out and says what a nice day to take pictures. I had no fucking gonads to ask her to step in so I could get some shots of her. FUCK! What a douche bag I am.

Ralph, you're killing me....

Martin beat me to it Icon_cheesygrin

RE: Howz this color coming through - Ralphbro - 15-Oct-2013 15:27

It's nice that everybody is so understandingIcon_lol

Enjoying a bit of shotenfrued at my expenseIcon_biggrin

At least it's better than where I was last summer. Background separation, use of sun as kicker, that sort of shit. Fuck, working in a studio with a gridded 72" oct is a cake walkIcon_lol

RE: Howz this color coming through - Sigma Pi - 15-Oct-2013 16:16

(15-Oct-2013 03:39)Rudi wrote:  The exposure looks fine. The mannequin shoulders behind you look creepy.
That is what I noticed too haha

RE: Howz this color coming through - Sigma Pi - 15-Oct-2013 16:16

(15-Oct-2013 03:42)Tetrode wrote:  pick an idea that you are passionate about.
Exposure and color.

RE: Howz this color coming through - Sigma Pi - 15-Oct-2013 16:25

Over exposed sky on the second one.

RE: Howz this color coming through - Ralphbro - 15-Oct-2013 16:55

Thanks Mike for the input

The second one is closer to looking mid day, that's part of my quandary, making the exposure look like the time it was taken.

This has to be better than watching Honey Boo Boo.

RE: Howz this color coming through - juice - 15-Oct-2013 20:21

(15-Oct-2013 15:27)Ralphbro wrote:  Enjoying a bit of shotenfrued at my expenseIcon_biggrin
Oh Ralph!

(15-Oct-2013 16:55)Ralphbro wrote:  This has to be better than watching Honey Boo Boo.
For whom? (And I have no idea what "Honey Boo Boo" is.)

RE: Howz this color coming through - Ralphbro - 15-Oct-2013 20:43

(15-Oct-2013 20:21)juice wrote:  I have no idea what "Honey Boo Boo" is

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CEEQtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Ddzt7oCFN3ek&ei=zahdUtKyHamxiwLP1IDoBA&usg=AFQjCNGs6DHcnUj-InSv-SjiYRMBAwMpXQ&bvm=bv.54176721,d.cGE

RE: Howz this color coming through - juice - 15-Oct-2013 20:57

Heh, I didn't say I *wanted* to know. I'm not being Rickrolled.

RE: Howz this color coming through - Ralphbro - 15-Oct-2013 20:59

(15-Oct-2013 20:57)juice wrote:  I'm not being Rickrolled

I assumed that looking at my images were the equivalent of being Rickrolled.

RE: Howz this color coming through - juice - 15-Oct-2013 21:05

(15-Oct-2013 20:59)Ralphbro wrote:  I assumed that looking at my images were the equivalent of being Rickrolled.
No, that's just scary. Rickrolled is where you put them elsewhere and trick us into going there by telling us that they're Scoot's photos.

RE: Howz this color coming through - Shoms - 15-Oct-2013 21:16

(15-Oct-2013 20:43)Ralphbro wrote:  http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...6721,d.cGE
This is why inbreeding is just wrong

RE: Howz this color coming through - Shoms - 15-Oct-2013 21:17

I set my camera to 4900 and leave it

RE: Howz this color coming through - Ralphbro - 15-Oct-2013 21:20

(15-Oct-2013 21:16)Shoms wrote:  This is why inbreeding is just wrong

ThisIcon_lolIcon_lolIcon_lol
(15-Oct-2013 21:17)Shoms wrote:  I set my camera to 4900 and leave it

I set mine to 5000, so I guess I'm in the ball park.Icon_biggrin

RE: Howz this color coming through - June Bug - 16-Oct-2013 13:14

Ralphbro wrote:So I'm trying to get the new laptop and monitor dialed in.

Firefox and Eudora show it as overly red.
The color isn't too red, it's too white.
The pics aren't Bro enough. They look nothing like your avatar.

RE: Howz this color coming through - Ralphbro - 16-Oct-2013 16:38

Jeezus, where's my 70's, Superfly, pimp clothes?Icon_lol

RE: Howz this color coming through - Sigma Pi - 16-Oct-2013 18:43

(16-Oct-2013 13:14)June Bug wrote:  The pics aren't Bro enough. They look nothing like your avatar.
I am going to agree and say toughen up!

RE: Howz this color coming through - Ralphbro - 16-Oct-2013 19:01

Hey, I've lost 15lbs in the last 4 months, give me some credit.

RE: Howz this color coming through - FJ Love - 17-Oct-2013 03:12

(16-Oct-2013 19:01)Ralphbro wrote:  Hey, I've lost 15lbs in the last 4 months, give me some credit.

run out of food stamps ? Icon_biggrin

RE: Howz this color coming through - juice - 17-Oct-2013 03:18

(17-Oct-2013 03:12)FJ Love wrote:  run out of food stamps ? Icon_biggrin
Icon_cheesygrin

RE: Howz this color coming through - Ralphbro - 17-Oct-2013 03:24

You guys are so funny I forgot to laugh.Icon_rolleyes Sheez, morons.

RE: Howz this color coming through - FJ Love - 17-Oct-2013 04:41

(17-Oct-2013 03:24)Ralphbro wrote:  morons.

[Image: 8kngTMP.jpg]

RE: Howz this color coming through - Ralphbro - 17-Oct-2013 11:24

Icon_lolIcon_lolIcon_lol

RE: Howz this color coming through - DJ - 18-Oct-2013 03:21

Ralph, did you read Sue's blog today? It seems she was speaking directly to you:

October 17, 2013
“Don’t wait till you are perfect . . . You will never be perfect” ~Sue Bryce.

RE: Howz this color coming through - Ralphbro - 18-Oct-2013 03:29

I don't have time to read her blog, I'm to busy getting closer to perfection.

Hell, I don't want perfect, I just want ball park with this full sun shooting. Howz about some of the rest of you that haven't already post some full sun images.

It looks to be a nice sunny weekend coming up. I'm gonna see if one of my coworkers wants to be my stand in.

RE: Howz this color coming through - DJ - 18-Oct-2013 03:34

Ralph, you didn't need to read the blog to get the point. Anyway, I understand that maybe the journey of tinkering is the fun part for you, and that is fine.

RE: Howz this color coming through - Ralphbro - 18-Oct-2013 03:39

Today it's trying to get this full sun shooting down, next comes ice fishing, I'll fucking freeze before I get a nibble, I'm sure of thatIcon_lol

Oh, and fuck the tinkering, I want to get on with this. I've got some days off coming up and I'm hoping for good weather. I need to start enlisting some help as I've got 2 refrigerator size SBs that I want to use to shoot Lenin. Ball park exposure in shooting full sun and shooting Lenin with to big SBs are all that is in my bucket list. Pretty retarded.Icon_cheesygrin

I gotta shoot Lenin else Dave won't have any respect for me.