G'day, welcome to the Making Images forum. Please register, it will make things even better! Read this page for some suggestions as to how to bet the most out of your time here.

Tasmania 2014
Rudi Offline

iRenaissance Man
Outback

Tasmania 2014

Here are a few photos from Clear Skies TV's latest adventure - Tasmania. We went down there with the intent of photographing Aurora Australis, the Southern Lights, but of course Murphy's Law intervened.

For those of you who might think I'm a DSLR snob, here is an interesting tidbit: All images except the first (Dark Mofo) were taken with a Sony RX100 Mk2, which was always (always!) in my pocket during the trip (I was very impressed with how well the Sony did at night, in very low light conditions!). The RX100 also provided a lot of B-roll footage for the show. The night-time time-lapse footage and all "serious" video footage was done with two 5D Mk3s, a 5D Mk2 and a Canon professional video camera (the model number of which escapes me now - it's Dave's camera (not our Dave Icon_smile )).

The video will be donated to the Grote Reber Museum at the Mt Pleasant Radio Observatory near Hobart, as well as distributed elsewhere (we still hope to get this on Tasmanian TV).

So anyway, here is a short blog post about our trip: http://www.clearskies.tv/2014/06/tasmania-2014.html

Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
02-Jul-2014 06:30
posts reply
Sheldon N Offline

MegaloMooMoo
Vancouver, WA

RE: Tasmania 2014

(02-Jul-2014 06:30)Rudi wrote:  Dark Mofo
Racist!!! Icon_eek

Icon_mrgreen

Nice pics, Rudi.

Sheldon | I used to own some camera gear | Flickr
02-Jul-2014 12:53
posts www reply
Rudi Offline

iRenaissance Man
Outback

(02-Jul-2014 12:53)Sheldon N wrote:  
(02-Jul-2014 06:30)Rudi wrote:  Dark Mofo
Racist!!! Icon_eek

Hey, that's what the Taswegians called it. They're a cultured lot down there, you know! Icon_cheesygrin

02-Jul-2014 15:17
posts reply
Tetrode Offline

This Space for Rent
The Land of Gorch

Thanks to you, Rudi, I've learned a new word: demonym

I always thought people from Tasmania would be called Tasmanians, like the devil. Not so, apparently. Taswegian is the correct/preferred term. Like Glaswegians, I guess, though Glasgowians wouldn't exactly roll off the tongue. And, remember, people from Newcastle are Novocastrians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjectivals...for_cities

I demand a second opinion! According to that STUPID test I'm 50% hipster.
02-Jul-2014 15:38
posts reply
Rudi Offline

iRenaissance Man
Outback

Oh, I'm pretty sure they prefer to be called Tasmanians, Dave! But they usually take it in their stride if you call them Taswegian. Most of the time. Although not when it's meant as the Urban Dictionary definition of the word: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.ph...=taswegian

Icon_cheesygrin

02-Jul-2014 17:20
posts reply
FJ Love Offline

Iditarod pig racer
who lives in a pigloo

nice shots Rudi Icon_cool

02-Jul-2014 18:25
posts reply
Rudi Offline

iRenaissance Man
Outback

(02-Jul-2014 12:53)Sheldon N wrote:  Nice pics, Rudi.

(02-Jul-2014 18:25)FJ Love wrote:  nice shots Rudi Icon_cool

Thank you, gents. Icon_smile

(02-Jul-2014 15:38)Tetrode wrote:  Thanks to you, Rudi, I've learned a new word: demonym
Nope, I think you have that backwards - *I* just learned that word from you, Dave! Not sure how often I will get to use it... Icon_wink

03-Jul-2014 05:19
posts reply