G'day, welcome to the Making Images forum. Please register, it will make things even better! Read this page for some suggestions as to how to bet the most out of your time here.

Christmas
Ralphbro Offline

Agalmatophiliac
Imagining My Jewels

Christmas

Over the years I've gotten real tired of the Christmas season. The complete commercialization just continues to get worse. Now this year the stores are opening Thanksgiving evening, getting black Friday started early. Fighting in the aisles at Best Buy over TVs, pushing matches over Barbie dolls in Walmart, I've just about given up with the American public.

Is this sort of nonsense happening in your country, or is it only America that's full of self centered idiots?

Mankins are lumps of cold, dead plastic. But that doesn't mean they don't turn me on.
With friends like these, who needs mankins? I do, that's who.
I love pinging my junk with a rubber band. Dr Snip taught me how.
I lead an underworld cult of mankin people.
WTFWJD?

28-Nov-2014 20:47
posts reply
Sheldon N Online

MegaloMooMoo
Vancouver, WA

RE: Christmas

The self centered idiots in other countries are much more civilized about it.

Sheldon | I used to own some camera gear | Flickr
29-Nov-2014 00:46
posts www reply
Ralphbro Offline

Agalmatophiliac
Imagining My Jewels

(29-Nov-2014 00:46)Sheldon N wrote:  The self centered idiots in other countries are much more civilized about it

Ya, you're right, the Iranians do seem to show self control.

Mankins are lumps of cold, dead plastic. But that doesn't mean they don't turn me on.
WTFWJD?

29-Nov-2014 00:52
posts reply
Rudi Offline

iRenaissance Man
Outback

I refuse to participate in any pre-or-post-Christmas sales! Always have. The craziness that goes on at the Boxing Day sales here is just not worth it. My life is too short to spend hours waiting in some damn queue, just to have to shoulder and elbow old ladies out of the way when the door opens. Screw that! No amount of money saved is worth that sort of nonsense.

Reminds me of the times, way back when, when petrol prices started to go up rapidly. On weekends, select petrol stations around Sydney would offer half-price fuel - a publicity stunt of sorts. And people would line up for hours, just to save a few bucks. *They would waste half of their weekend, just to save $20!* How does that make any sense? We are here for a short time, then take a very, very long dirt nap! Why would I want to waste the limited time that I have on something so unimportant? ???

Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
29-Nov-2014 03:49
posts reply
Ralphbro Offline

Agalmatophiliac
Imagining My Jewels

Yup.

WTFWJD?

29-Nov-2014 03:54
posts reply
Case Offline

Begs Questions
Student of the Sheldon-Fu!

I like how the mega sale is right after Thanksgiving... The time when people are so very grateful for what they have.... right ?

29-Nov-2014 05:26
posts reply
Ralphbro Offline

Agalmatophiliac
Imagining My Jewels

(29-Nov-2014 05:26)Case wrote:  I like how the mega sale is right after Thanksgiving

Hi Case

The reason I posted was because the mega sale(s) ARE HAPPENING ON THANKSGIVING!

On another note, the retard Ferguson demonstrating idiots shut down the Westlake Center in downtown Seattle last night. It's the retail center of downtown Seattle where the old refurbished department stores are. Last night was the tree lighting.

WTFWJD?

29-Nov-2014 14:37
posts reply
Sheldon N Online

MegaloMooMoo
Vancouver, WA

Yes, black friday has gotten out of hand in Oregon.

http://thatoregonlife.com/2014/11/portla...club-riot/

29-Nov-2014 15:40
posts www reply
Case Offline

Begs Questions

29-Nov-2014 21:37
posts reply
Tetrode Offline

This Space for Rent
The Land of Gorch

(29-Nov-2014 21:37)Case wrote:  503

It's back now, Case, and it's hilarious.

I thought it had to be a put-on but, sonofagun, there really is a Casa Diablo, the first vegan strip club. The only place in Portland (if not the world) where you can ogle nude vegetarian girls.

I demand a second opinion! According to that STUPID test I'm 50% hipster.
29-Nov-2014 22:34
posts reply
Sheldon N Online

MegaloMooMoo
Vancouver, WA

(29-Nov-2014 21:37)Case wrote:  503

Yes, that's the correct area code. Icon_cheesygrin

30-Nov-2014 00:38
posts www reply
juice Online

Minister for Outrage
in Curmudgestan

Facebook Flickr Twitter

(28-Nov-2014 20:47)Ralphbro wrote:  Over the years I've gotten real tired of the Christmas season. The complete commercialization just continues to get worse.
Yeah, as of decades ago.

(29-Nov-2014 03:49)Rudi wrote:  I refuse to participate in any pre-or-post-Christmas sales! Always have.
Same, but I'm philosophically opposed, not practically.

30-Nov-2014 00:55
posts www reply
June Bug Offline

pseudo girlie-girl
Painting shit on Martin's truck.

I also refuse to participate in any of those crazy sales. I'm pretty sure I'd get knocked to the ground and then get trampled to death.

Several years ago, my mom got fed up with the commercial absurdity of Christmas. She said that she already had everything that she ever needed, and she felt uncomfortable receiving expensive gifts when there are so many people in the world who don't even have the basic necessities of life. So she made a secret committment (which I soon found out about Icon_wink ) to determine the amount of money spent on her gifts, and donate an equivalent amount of money to desperately needy individuals. After my dad and I discovered what she had been doing, we made the same pledge. We've been doing it ever since.

This resulted in a rather unexpected turn of events. ... Since I didn't want my mom & dad to have to donate large amounts of their limited income, I found myself giving much more thought into their gifts, rather than simply spending lots of $$$. While they were committed and willing to donate as much money as I spent, they also found that the gifts I ended up giving them made them much happier than simply receiving a new wide screen television, or some other fancy do-dad that they really didn't need/want. Similarly, their gifts to me were carfully thought out, since they also knew that I'd be making a donation from funds that would otherwise go towards purchasing a house.

So, for years now, I avoid getting trampled to death in search of a deal for a wide-screen TV. And instead, I pay closer attention to my mom & dad. I'll be able to make them genuinely happy without spending a lot of money, and they will be able to acknowledge their good fortune by donating a modest amount from their savings. And I'll do the same.

... It will be another good year.

I used to be a lumberjack.

30-Nov-2014 04:07
posts reply
juice Online

Minister for Outrage
in Curmudgestan

Facebook Flickr Twitter

(30-Nov-2014 04:07)June Bug wrote:  She said that she already had everything that she ever needed, and she felt uncomfortable receiving expensive gifts
JB, I don't think I've got Christmas/birthday/anything gifts for the best part of 20 years, except from Cha, who buys something cheap just to piss me off because then I'm getting a gift, and my mum when she was still around, because she always did.

For at least that long I've been telling people not to bother, but if they really want to buy something, give a village in Afghanistan a goat or a village in Pakistan a well, or something. Whatever, either keep the money, or use it for something useful.

And for this, I get told I'm selfish when I explain this philosophy to people. That I'm refusing to allow people the joy of giving. Which, clearly, I'm not, it's just not to me, it's to people who need stuff. #peopledomyheadin

30-Nov-2014 04:32
posts www reply
Ralphbro Offline

Agalmatophiliac
Imagining My Jewels

Mic, I've been doing the same for the better part of 20 years also. Giving to the needy contributes to economy as much as buying some thing useless or underutilized. I think JBs family certainly have their priorities straight.

WTFWJD?

30-Nov-2014 12:33
posts reply
Sheldon N Online

MegaloMooMoo
Vancouver, WA

Our church has done something similar for the last several years at Christmas...

Every year we've been able to give to a different cause. It's certainly more valuable than spending money on presents and other consumerist junk.

30-Nov-2014 17:23
posts www reply
FJ Love Offline

Iditarod pig racer
who lives in a pigloo

we sound like we all do similar things regarding gifts and Christmas Icon_cool

30-Nov-2014 17:53
posts reply
Sheldon N Online

MegaloMooMoo
Vancouver, WA

Yeah, besides.... I buy myself presents all year long. Icon_rolleyes

Icon_mrgreen

30-Nov-2014 20:14
posts www reply
Tetrode Offline

This Space for Rent
The Land of Gorch

What will the Nalos children be getting this Christmas? A nice hunk of smoked salmon, perhaps?

30-Nov-2014 20:17
posts reply
Sheldon N Online

MegaloMooMoo
Vancouver, WA

We finally broke down and bought them a goldfish this week. I suppose I could smoke that for them. Icon_smile

30-Nov-2014 20:18
posts www reply
Tetrode Offline

This Space for Rent
The Land of Gorch

(30-Nov-2014 20:18)Sheldon N wrote:  We finally broke down and bought them a goldfish this week. I suppose I could smoke that for them. Icon_smile

One goldfish? I guess I'm not missing much by not being on your Christmas list.

30-Nov-2014 20:19
posts reply
juice Online

Minister for Outrage
in Curmudgestan

Facebook Flickr Twitter

(30-Nov-2014 20:18)Sheldon N wrote:  We finally broke down and bought them a goldfish this week. I suppose I could smoke that for them. Icon_smile
Is it in a pot?

30-Nov-2014 21:32
posts www reply
Sheldon N Online

MegaloMooMoo
Vancouver, WA

I like pot smoking Icon_mrgreen

(30-Nov-2014 20:19)Tetrode wrote:  One goldfish? I guess I'm not missing much by not being on your Christmas list.

You aren't missing much at all. You won't believe how hard the kids have been working to get that one fish too.... something like 6 months. They're happy about it, though!

[Image: _MG_0454_zpsb4f090fd.jpg]

30-Nov-2014 23:24
posts www reply
June Bug Offline

pseudo girlie-girl

You made them wait six months for a goldfish?!?!?!?!?!?

Your kids should have just gone out and bought their own. They're about 49 cents here in Boston Icon_eek

01-Dec-2014 02:03
posts reply
Tetrode Offline

This Space for Rent
The Land of Gorch

(01-Dec-2014 02:03)June Bug wrote:  You made them wait six months for a goldfish?!?!?!?!?!?

Your kids should have just gone out and bought their own. They're about 49 cents here in Boston Icon_eek

But Sheldon will be donating an amount equal to the value of the goldfish (singular) to charity.

01-Dec-2014 02:45
posts reply
DJ Offline

Can I buy a vowel?
Minnesota

(01-Dec-2014 02:03)June Bug wrote:  Your kids should have just gone out and bought their own. They're about 49 cents here in Boston Icon_eek

No kidding, the pack of Spree in the bottom of the tank cost more than the fish Icon_cheesygrin

01-Dec-2014 03:56
posts reply
FJ Love Offline

Iditarod pig racer
who lives in a pigloo

(01-Dec-2014 02:45)Tetrode wrote:  
quote:You made them wait six months for a goldfish?!?!?!?!?!?

But Sheldon will be donating an amount equal to the value of the goldfish (singular) to charity.

Icon_lolIcon_lolIcon_lol

01-Dec-2014 05:05
posts reply
Sheldon N Online

MegaloMooMoo
Vancouver, WA

(01-Dec-2014 03:56)DJ wrote:  No kidding, the pack of Spree in the bottom of the tank cost more than the fish

The deal was this... we had a big pile of those colored marbles (Spree) and an empty fish bowl. Every time we caught the kids doing something nice or kind for each other we would put one marble into the fish bowl. Once they had gotten through all the marbles we would get a fish for them. It turned out there were way more marbles than are actually in the bowl now, Jamie misjudged a bit on the estimate. Icon_smile

Mainly we wanted the kids to be nice to each other, and neither Jamie or I wanted a pet. Icon_cheesygrin

01-Dec-2014 07:26
posts www reply
June Bug Offline

pseudo girlie-girl

Sheldon N wrote:The deal was this... we had a big pile of those colored marbles (Spree) and an empty fish bowl.
... so you already had the bowl and the colored marbles.
All the kids had to do is get the fish !!! Not one of them was devious enough to figure out how to sneek a little goldfish into the house? What kind of kids are you raising there? You need to expose them to Mic.

01-Dec-2014 13:20
posts reply
Tetrode Offline

This Space for Rent
The Land of Gorch

(01-Dec-2014 07:26)Sheldon N wrote:  The deal was this... we had a big pile of those colored marbles (Spree) and an empty fish bowl. Every time we caught the kids doing something nice or kind for each other we would put one marble into the fish bowl. Once they had gotten through all the marbles we would get a fish for them. It turned out there were way more marbles than are actually in the bowl now, Jamie misjudged a bit on the estimate. Icon_smile

So, in other words, it took six months of good deeds for the Nalos children to amass enough marbles to earn a single goldfish. How many marbles equals one goldfish? Did the kids know what their target was (e.g. how long they'd have to be nice to each other)? Were there different redemption points ranging, say, from goldfish to grouper depending upon how many marbles wound up in the bowl in a fixed amount of time?

Does the fish have a name?

01-Dec-2014 13:34
posts reply
Sheldon N Online

MegaloMooMoo
Vancouver, WA

(01-Dec-2014 13:34)Tetrode wrote:  So, in other words, it took six months of good deeds for the Nalos children to amass enough marbles to earn a single goldfish. How many marbles equals one goldfish? Did the kids know what their target was (e.g. how long they'd have to be nice to each other)? Were there different redemption points ranging, say, from goldfish to grouper depending upon how many marbles wound up in the bowl in a fixed amount of time?

I think there were about 200 marbles.

Yes, they could see how many marbles were in the bowl and how many were left in the pile.

Bowl size limited fish size, we were pretty clear it was either going to be a beta or a goldfish.

No time performance component.

The kids have brought in their own pets before (snakes, frogs, bugs, caterpillars, captured in the back yard mainly by Ashlyn) but those were all very clearly temporary pets... either self limited by mortality or by the need to let them go since they couldn't be kept in the house.

And we definitely did not want to expose them to Mic. Icon_smile

As you can see, neither Jamie or I wanted a pet. And the kids wanted one badly. They have already proposed buying a hamster cage and then having the opportunity to fill the cage with wood shavings, one flake at a time. Icon_rolleyes

01-Dec-2014 15:16
posts www reply
Tetrode Offline

This Space for Rent
The Land of Gorch

(01-Dec-2014 15:16)Sheldon N wrote:  As you can see, neither Jamie or I wanted a pet. And the kids wanted one badly. They have already proposed buying a hamster cage and then having the opportunity to fill the cage with wood shavings, one flake at a time. Icon_rolleyes

Good deal for you and Jamie. They won't have enough wood shavings in the cage until they're all in grad school.

BTW, may I please have Ashlyn's email address. I want to suggest she ask for a capybara instead of a hamster.

[Image: article-2345934-1A6F4573000005DC-134_634x436.jpg]

01-Dec-2014 16:47
posts reply
Ralphbro Offline

Agalmatophiliac
Imagining My Jewels

(01-Dec-2014 15:16)Sheldon N wrote:  a beta or a goldfish

Beta's are cool. I bred them when I was 12 years old. Goldfish are easier to keep, no need for heater.

WTFWJD?

01-Dec-2014 17:05
posts reply
DJ Offline

Can I buy a vowel?
Minnesota

(01-Dec-2014 16:47)Tetrode wrote:  BTW, may I please have Ashlyn's email address. I want to suggest she ask for a capybara instead of a hamster.

Nice PS work Dave! I like how you even matched the rim light on the capybara.

01-Dec-2014 17:20
posts reply
Tetrode Offline

This Space for Rent
The Land of Gorch

(01-Dec-2014 17:20)DJ wrote:  Nice PS work Dave! I like how you even matched the rim light on the capybara.

I wish, DJ:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-Gary.html

01-Dec-2014 17:23
posts reply
FJ Love Offline

Iditarod pig racer
who lives in a pigloo

(01-Dec-2014 17:23)Tetrode wrote:  I wish, DJ:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-Gary.html

interesting Icon_cool

01-Dec-2014 17:43
posts reply
Tetrode Offline

This Space for Rent
The Land of Gorch

A capybara would make a great companion for Hammy, Martin.

01-Dec-2014 17:44
posts reply
Sheldon N Online

MegaloMooMoo
Vancouver, WA

Good grief, that thing is huge. You'd need a chipper shredder and a small forest just to make the bedding for it's cage.

(01-Dec-2014 13:34)Tetrode wrote:  Does the fish have a name?

Missed this earlier..... the fish's name is "Bubbles". Icon_smile

01-Dec-2014 17:48
posts www reply
DJ Offline

Can I buy a vowel?
Minnesota

Martin just updated his Christmas list! Pigs are becoming passe, but who has both a pig and a capabara? Time to step up your game, Martin.

Bonus: at least you'll still have one surviving pet after the Making Images backyard BBQ get together.

01-Dec-2014 17:49
posts reply
juice Online

Minister for Outrage
in Curmudgestan

Facebook Flickr Twitter

(01-Dec-2014 13:20)June Bug wrote:  What kind of kids are you raising there? You need to expose them to Mic.
You know something? They don't.

(01-Dec-2014 15:16)Sheldon N wrote:  And we definitely did not want to expose them to Mic. Icon_smile
See?

(01-Dec-2014 17:49)DJ wrote:  Bonus: at least you'll still have one surviving pet after the Making Images backyard BBQ get together.
Mebbe. Pretty sure they eat those things in South America.

01-Dec-2014 17:59
posts www reply
Tetrode Offline

This Space for Rent
The Land of Gorch

(01-Dec-2014 17:59)juice wrote:  Mebbe. Pretty sure they eat those things in South America.

"As reported in Scientific American, October, 1994: Lots of capybara meat is/was eaten by Colombians and Venezuelans who appealed to the Vatican during the 16th century in order to be allowed to eat capybaras during Lent. The pope back then declared the capybara to be a fish; according to a 1991 survey, approximately 400 tons of capybara are eaten each year. Since a capybara weighs about 100 lbs, if one capybara yields 25 lbs of edible stuff, that's about 32,000 capybaras per year down the collective hatch."

Capybaraboys at round-up time:

[Image: capybara.gif]

01-Dec-2014 18:19
posts reply
FJ Love Offline

Iditarod pig racer
who lives in a pigloo

Christmas

(01-Dec-2014 17:44)Tetrode wrote:  A capybara would make a great companion for Hammy, Martin.

Haha I was thinking the same thing

01-Dec-2014 20:19
posts reply
Sheldon N Online

MegaloMooMoo
Vancouver, WA

(01-Dec-2014 18:19)Tetrode wrote:  The pope back then declared the capybara to be a fish

Icon_eek

Don't tell my kids.

01-Dec-2014 21:18
posts www reply
Ralphbro Offline

Agalmatophiliac
Imagining My Jewels

Come on, capybara or piranha, same difference.

WTFWJD?

01-Dec-2014 21:20
posts reply
FJ Love Offline

Iditarod pig racer
who lives in a pigloo

(01-Dec-2014 21:18)Sheldon N wrote:  
quote:The pope back then declared the capybara to be a fish
Icon_eek

i know, obviously it has no fins Icon_lol

01-Dec-2014 22:54
posts reply
Tetrode Offline

This Space for Rent
The Land of Gorch

(01-Dec-2014 22:54)FJ Love wrote:  i know, obviously it has no fins Icon_lol

Ah, but it's latin name, Hydrochoerus, means water pig. Close enough for the pope.

01-Dec-2014 23:07
posts reply
Sheldon N Online

MegaloMooMoo
Vancouver, WA

See Martin? It's a fish pig! All the more reason you should get one. Icon_cheesygrin

01-Dec-2014 23:33
posts www reply
Sigma Pi Offline

Just call me lugnuts
I will report the moderator

(30-Nov-2014 23:24)Sheldon N wrote:  I like pot smoking Icon_mrgreen
no short stroke there Icon_biggrin

"It would cost you money not to buy it!"

"I've done the calculation and your chances of winning the lottery are identical whether you play or not"

"EVERYONE around me had head injuries."
09-Dec-2014 08:14
posts reply
Case Offline

Begs Questions

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunit...erism.html

31-Dec-2014 15:41
posts reply
Sheldon N Online

MegaloMooMoo
Vancouver, WA

Icon_lolIcon_lolIcon_lol

I would have bought that, $6 and it makes an excellent present for your friends.

31-Dec-2014 15:52
posts www reply